Monday, February 27, 2012

3 months home... Ha!

Edited Repost from the archives.
Originally posted April 24th, 2010.

We'd been a family together for 3 months. Three whole months. I swear- as you may sense- it felt like f.o.r.e.v.e.r.  Also notice that his birthday the following year was NOT as anticipated. It was actually a full blown bowling alley party, as he is requesting again this year. He's decided, since this original post, that birthday parties are, in fact, the greatest thing ever. He LOVES a party! Extrovert son. Introvert mom. We. are. a. pair.

There have been so many "oh look! First time...". Many are repeats of "first time he fell asleep with out me". In retrospect I mostly just don't remember from one week to the next. It's been long enough now that I know to expect everything to change. It's been 2+ years now, and he's only now toying with falling asleep without me right next to him. It isn't completely consistent. But there is another hint of light. Expectations. I got lost in them so many times along this way..... 

********************

Today is what?.. The 24th?  We arrived here from Ethiopia 3 months ago today. 3 months.



Tonight.. Just maybe 30 minutes ago.. My Sun... By beautiful Toddler.. Mr. I can do everything myself... just fell asleep.. for the very FIRST TIME... NOT ON TOP OF ME. Not at all. Not on my arm. Not laying across my belly. No hands in my shirt. Not nuzzeled in the crook of my neck. Nothing... (well- he's got a foot on my leg, now.. but that's it.)



Now - I must admit that the last 2 nights we've had some super duper exhaustion from super Duper (capital D) fun and adventure filled days (more on that later).  And he did fall asleep in the car and ended up sleeping the entire night through.. so other than those 2 times (which don't really count) .....

Tonight is the FIRST TIME he has laid in bed and fallen asleep without me holding him. First. First time.


Not only am I excited (and a bit mournful, i'll admit) but I wanted to put this out there for all those who think they are going crazy cause their kid still won't sleep in his own bed, or has sleep anxiety.  THREE MONTHS!!!

I don't actually expect this to last..  much like all his sleeping patterns they morph and adjust--- hopefully we'll have this be a recurring regular performance soon.?


...It bugs me still. I have no reason to doubt the date, other than a bunch of obvious translation things. Today- you do not act like a 3 year old-- maybe 2 or 2 and a half. But then again... 3 months ago you didn't act like a 2 year old.  Who knows.. is this just time and transition? Is it that you are younger than reported? Does it matter?  I don't really think so.



But the idea of a forced celebration still bugs the crap out of me. I'll let it slide this year. Next year-- it's all you and me baby! 

No comments: