Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Traditions? Oxymoron?.....

As a new family, I'm finding it hard to 'know' what we 'do' for traditions. Holidays. Celebrations. This time of year, we have some new (to me) ones to celebrate. Ghenna. Timkat. And Our Family day are all in January. So in still recovering from the 'other' holidays, we didn't celebrate Ghenna this year. I'm torn by that. Really I am. But I find myself going back and reminding myself-

I'm new at this. We are a new family. Traditions don't create themselves in one shot. We will find our way. We will find our fit. Our traditions.

3 comments:

one + one said...

I feel similar on this topic. I happen to live 6 hours from my closest family members and I would hate to think that ALL of our holiday traditions will involve us traveling away to someone else's home. Guess we will just figure it out as we go...

InventingLiz said...

I am torn about this in a different way - Elfe's family is not Ethiopian Orthodox, so she would not have grown up celebrating many of the Ethiopian holidays that we have access to here in the US. I will probably try to bring her to as many as I can so that she is exposed to some kind of Ethiopian culture, but it seems less important to be hard-core about it...

Sha Zam- said...

I totally get that Liz. Neither is our ET family, so I wasn't sweating it really. But it hits me for all 'traditions'- it may be one we chose to celebrate- I don't know. There is a lot going on in January. And Meskel is really the big one in September.