Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Temporarily Out of Service...

Breaking up. It's hard to do. It wasn't my fault. I don't want it. I'll fight for this relationship. Oh black screen of death- why do you visit me again?!?!?!

It has happened again. At this moment I'm at my mothers, on her slower than cold molasses connection. One stop at fB and I'm reminded that I'll miss Bridget's announcements, the pictures of your beautiful peoples - and oh, gosh, ugh, shoot me- i can't read all the attachment posts. Oh my. breaking up is hard to do.

I will be back. But not until my tax return makes it into my hot little hands in order to get a new Mac. My Powerbook is 5+years old and i've replaced the hard drive twice now... losing a few photos from Ethiopia every time. The frame is bent, so using the dvd burner was no longer an option.  And I'm not sure if this is one of the confessions I've told you all before.. but- I'm still out of work. So long now that the emergency fund and savings are pretty well depleted. SO- biting the bullet for the team and saying- not till the money is in my pocket will I be replacing the thing.

This will actually turn out to be a good thing for the tegerooni and i. Just 2 days before it crashed - I committed, along with Liz to put the machine away when he was home and awake. (This was harder than it sounded )  I cheated a couple times and perhaps this is my wonderful God keeping me on target.?!? Who knows. But I'll make the most of it- writing more in his journals and creating some fine motor tasks fun for him to practice enjoy.

While we are away, we are currently on our way to him learning to dress himself. The shirts are proving more of a problem than expected, and we'll wait on snaps and buttons for now- but socks are HUGE and he's almost there!!  As always, he's really ENJOYING the challenge!! He's on his way to using scissors. We'll be working on moving fingers, wrists, toes and feet without moving the entire arm and leg along with it. We'll be working on rhythm and patterns (cognitive motor). He may start swim class. He's learning to pedal a trike (this is HUGE!!) as long as his feet are strapped to the pedals. He is sitting to paint as I read from his children's bible (the one gifted from his VBS teacher this summer). We are again looking for a new church to attend. He can recite his ABC's (sometimes its' M&M's and Peas instead of LMNOP but...). He counts in both English and Spanish, sadly, not Amharic. We are looking forward to spending more time outside and enjoying the mud, slush, smell of thawing ground and running in the sunshine! (Let's hope it actually happens in march...)

I'll do my best to get to the public Library and check in from time to time. Sincerely I'll miss you all but only for a little while. Be well.

5 comments:

scooping it up said...

i will treasure every word and email you can squeeze out.

kisses to you both.

Bridget said...

Ahhhh....the fact that you think you're going to MISS my referral has me crying. I know this sounds horrible, but I HOPE you do! O.k., o.k., that's not what I mean.... I mean, I hope the big "r" actually comes. Period. And to have it happen before May would be icing on the cake. Not that I'm not 26 months in to this FREAKING wait or anything...but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think it is a real possibility that your sweet new Mac will be in your pretty little hands to hear (any) news coming from me. Now that I've said that, I really hope I'm wrong. We'll miss you!

findingmagnolia said...

We are working on dressing over here, too. A lot of the socks end up on upside down, and you can read what size they are and see whatever other non-slip design they've chosen. (Today: 2-3 years and stars) My daughter has also decided that she wants to use the bathroom all by herself, and it took a lot of convincing to get her to agree to let us help her wipe if it's #2. Now she likes to randomly announce, "Zinashi wipe shinty, Zinashi no no caca." Which is awkward when we're in public.

I'm so impressed with all the other things you are working on; clearly you have professionals on your side, whereas we currently have a bowl of chocolates that we are using to teach colors.

I'll miss your posts while you are gone and hope that you get your tax refund soon!

InventingLiz said...

Hope you are back on line soon! All the best in the meantime!

Claudia said...

oh no! You poor thing. I really hope the time away frpom the machine turns out to be a good time. The month break I took recently nearly killed me, but was also awesome.