Monday, February 1, 2010

Update- Week One

Do I look bloated?

Hey everyone.  He and I are doing better than expected-- I think?--- at least today.  Bonding is going well- but confidence in his security and in me is still lagging greatly. I guess that is to be expected.  We've only been home one week. 

Two weeks ago today, in Ethiopia, the goodbye ceremony was held and he joined me at the guest house- it also marks the last time he was at the care center that brought him back from the brink of starvation.  While in Ethiopia, I had the chance to meet Doctor Abiye.  'T' remembered him and ran to him laughing immediately.  But then ran as far away as he could, scared, confused and looking back and forth between the both of us.  When we told him to come ,"Nah"- he screamed and cried! (That was the first time I'd heard him cry at all)   Abiye said that they had a special bond and that T was his boy for some time. We spoke for a long time and he didn't speak technically about his history or medical progress but personally, sentimentally, reminiscent.  Abiye left and T was more distant with me than usual.  That night was the first night, I heard my son cry in his sleep.

He is doing a bit better sleeping without me. Today marks the 3rd time he has slept in his own bed for nap time. I finally pronounced "go to sleep" properly so he understood "hee Teh NAH"...  he's been sleeping for 3-4 hours in the afternoon- but I think I may need to start waking him up earlier.   (maybe next week- now I'm getting stuff done...sorta).  We start winding down for bed time about 7:30-8ish and usually asleep by 9pm.  (ya- gotta find a way to cut that down, someday... )

We are open to accepting visitors!  Yay!  Just give us a call to make sure he's awake.  In fact, mommy is actively accepting invitations to distract child so she can pick up, do dishes, attempt to shower and (gasp!) shave under pits (rather impossible task when holding child with one arm in shower....). No guarantees this distraction technique will work, as he still isn't too confident with me out of the room for any length of time and actually loves loves loves loves loves the bath and shower.... (just please Kid- let me scrape off the rest of this Ethiopian / airline crud lingering on my scalp!)

Thank you everyone for all your support and graciousness. We've only just begun- but you all make it easier.


InventingLiz said...

So glad you are doing well! But good lord - DO NOT wake up a napping child! He is probably still recovering from the trip and needs the sleep, and you need the quiet time!

About the shower - not sure if this will work for you - I have a small bathroom and Elfe just hangs out in there on the rug playing with her dolls while I shower. Actually, she started out sitting on a little bench just outside the bathroom with the door open (holding her doll), then the bench moved inside the bathroom and we closed the door, and then we left the bench outside so she can play on the floor. Sometimes she runs out because she forgot a tea cup or something for the dollies, but usually she is pretty happy just hanging out until I'm done!

InventingLiz said...

Oh, and I hope it goes without saying that I want that password! I think you have my email address...

scooping it up said...

just so you know, my non adopted kids want to be in the bathroom if not the shower when i shower when they are toddlers. so it's awesome that he wants to be near you, i think it's a great sign. also, my son mark 21 months would rather sit on my lap while i try to sit on the toilet than be outside. privacy goes WAY down with motherhood. Teg is awesome. I think clingy can only be good at this early stage.

You know I want in on the new blog, please please.

and DANG, i wish we could visit. if i weren't so darn sick i'd be loading up the van right now to come see you.

George said...

Sounds like things are going really great with your "main squeeze"...and he's napping really good. I can't get my son (16mo) to nap longer than 1 or 1 1/2 hrs most days. WELCOME HOME!

Jennifer said...

It sounds like things are going well. He sure is adorable!

Ronnie and Suzi said...

Crackin' me up with that shower story! I never realized how priceless a 'normal' shower was until kids came along. I don't need anything fancy, but enough time to rinse the conditioner out of my hair would be nice! (I can't tell you how many times I've gotten out and realized that! Sheesh!) But it does sound like things are going in the right direction for you two! So glad you are both home and can concentrate now on being a family!!! I'd love an invite to the new blog if you'll have me! I'm thinking you still have my email? If not, let me know! and WELCOME HOME!!!!!