Sunday, October 5, 2008

Delight & Amazement for Ethiopians...

I know as little about Ethiopia as anyone (far less than at least 3 people I know), so for me to try paint that picture will sometimes be silly. Sometimes, I'll just send you to another site. I promise to be conservative and not do this to every interesting article or post I find. But if I think it will be educational, useful or both (along with entertaining, cause of course that is most important here...) for family and friends, when I do finally announce to everyone, I'll post it here. There are times when once it is said, to repeat would simply be to plagiarize or not do the sentiment justice. Sometimes like this one, I will post to gain a sense of what is to come... and have a good laugh at the same time.

By: Hannah Vick
"Shyness is overcome quickly at the orphanage. In less than an hour of my arrival, I am surrounded by half a dozen giggling girls stroking my hair and my cheeks. "You!" they say, mouths open in smiles, "You are so fat - so fat and white!"
Peter leads me up the stairs, through the kitchen and into the courtyard of Layla House, a center for orphaned children in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, run by an American adoption agency. He points at things and children, nonchalantly throwing out useful tidbits, like "Don't eat the pasta", and "That's Meron, she's going to Denver", and "Use the staff bathroom, the kid's are still figuring out toilet paper".
He does not mention my plus-size figure would be the source of constant delight and amazement for Ethiopians."
Continue Reading this: Paste this link into your browser address. You'll love it!
http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/07-01/three-weeks-in-addis-addis-ababa-ethiopia-africa.html

No comments: